Wednesday 9 February 2011

AND RELAX.....

I tried using a relaxation CD for the first time today.  The Physios have really been promoting stress reduction as an essential tool in the fight against pain (what, you mean the cape & spandex tights are no good then?) and they like to hold  a quick "relaxation session" during each Back Class. Unfortunately, this involves me lying flat on a yoga mat, in a large, drafty gymnasium surrounded by fitness equipment, whilst a physio reads a pleasant little Utopian tale from a card to the sound of panpipes playing in the background.  Although we are given a couple of pillows to soften the blow, this is probably the most uncomfortable position ever for me (even before I hurt my back) and therefore my chances of achieving any kind of chill are slim at best.

Anyway, back to the CD - I thought: "I know what, I'll try this in the comfort of my own home, lying on a comfortable bed in a warm bedroom (panpipes optional). Now, I have to admit this CD has invoked: a) scepticism; b) concern that I am going to fall asleep and miss the school run and c) the worry that I will become unknowingly hypnotised and begin to act like a demented ballet dancer every time I hear an icecream van jingle.  However, in the end, I set 2 alarms just to be on the safe side to make sure I am awake in time for the school run and decide to take my chances with the icecream van.  Firstly, there were panpipes (is there a Relaxation CD on this whole wide planet that doesn't include them?) but there was also the sound of waves (a bonus) and the narrator's voice was very soothing and easy on the ears. Initially I didn't feel like anything was physically happening (to be fair I wasn't wearing the recommended stereo earphones mainly because I wanted to be sure to hear the alarms) but the amazing thing was a) I didn't go to sleep; b) since waking I have heard 'O Sole Mio and Greensleeves and haven't automatically gone into an attitude en pointe and c) I have noticed a definite positive reaction with regards my flexibility.  I was so surprised by this I even tried to do one of those side-step movements the Back Class are so fond of and actually got my foot to move an extra 10cms!   A fluke?  Not sure, but will definitely give it another go.  I may even buy earphones....

No comments:

Post a Comment